While I’m not an avid book reader, a friend of mine recently sent me his favourite book that he wanted me to read. It is titled ‘Everyday’ and the author is David Levithan. The plot of the book revolves around a boy or rather a soul that gets stuck in a new and different body every single day of his life. He is never the same person and never himself either. On one reckless occasion he falls in love with a girl who he meets through one of his borrowed bodies and the rest of the story follows his pursuit of love.
I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would and here are some quotes from it that I loved!
1. “I wanted love to conquer all. But love can’t conquer anything. It can’t do anything on its own. It relies on us to do the conquering on its behalf.”
2. “This is what love does. It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when its just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.”
3. “You can learn a lot about people from the stories they tell, but you can also know them from the way they sing along, whether they like the windows up or down, if they live by the map or by the world, if they feel the pull of the ocean. ”
4. “The universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be.”
5. “Once you experience enormity, it lingers everywhere you look and wants to be every word you say.”
6. “I feel it and she doesn’t. Or I feel it and she won’t.”
7. “I am starting to get tired of relying on words. They are full of meaning, yes but they lack sensation. Writing to her is not the same as seeing her face when she listens. Hearing back from her is not the same as hearing her voice. I have always been grateful for technology, but now it feels as if there’s a little hitch of separation woven into digital interaction. I want to be there and this scares me. All my usual disconnected comforts are being taken away, now that i see the greater comfort of presence.”
8. “I have to remind myself that normal people feel this way too: The desire to take a moment and make it last forever. The desire to stay like this for much longer than it will really last.”
9. “If you want to live within the definition of your own truth, you have to choose to go through the initially painful and ultimately comforting process of finding it. ”
10. “It is an awful thing to be betrayed by your body. And it’s lonely, because you feel like you can’t talk about it. You feel it’s something between you and the body. You feel it’s a battle you will never win.. and yet you fight it day after day, and it wears you down. Even if you try to ignore it, the energy it takes to ignore it will exhaust you. “